Contact Sales to discuss your custom product requirements!
A custom board or system can offer tremendous benefits over a standard product under the right circumstances. Diamond Systems is experienced with providing custom solutions in all of our product categories:
- Single-board computers
- I/O expansion boards
- Ethernet switches and carrier boards
- Nvidia Jetson carrier boards
- Rugged systems
Benefits of a custom solution
A custom solution offers superior form, fit, and function for an application, because it is specifically designed for that application's needs, rather than the application having to be designed to accommodate a standard product. In addition, a custom solution is designed with the latest technologies and components, compared to a standard product whose design may be 10 or even more years old. A custom solution can offer:
- the exact performance and I/O you need
- in the right size and shape
- with the right environmental characteristics
- with the latest generation components
- and with the longest product lifecycle.
Cost reduction is also generally possible (with the right production quantities), since you don't pay for the features that you don't need.
When to choose a custom solution
A custom solution is the right choice when your application meets any of the following conditions:
- The project quantity is large enough to justify the engineering NRE expense in order to optimize the design or bring down the total manufacturing cost.
- The project has certain physical, environmental, or functional requirements not available in standard products; for example you may have very limited space in your enclosure, or you may have specific connector requirements or I/O channel quantities.
- The longest possible lifecycle is desired, calling for a new design using the latest technologies and components.
- The quantity of features needed would require too many individual boards to fit in the enclosure.
Why choose Diamond Systems for a custom solution
With a vast array of proven embedded technologies, a readily expandable design team, scalable global manufacturing, and extensive global supply chain, Diamond Systems is equipped to design and manufacture custom embedded boards and systems with the lowest possible risk.
Unlike many design service companies, we only accept projects that have a high degree of overlap with our existing expertise, so the amount of uncertainty in the project is kept to a minimum. We learn on our own dime, then apply our knowledge and experience to your project.
Types of custom solutions
Diamond Systems offers solutions that fit various scenarios, including standard product variants, semi-custom solutions, and full-custom solutions.
View a list of SPVs created for other customers here.
Standard Product Variants or SPVs consist of minor modifications to existing standard products. Typically this will include a change to connectors, BIOS, or FPGA code. Additional services such as custom configuration, labeling, conformal coating, and environmental testing can be offered. An SPV is ideal for low quantity projects but can extend into high quantity as well.
Semi-custom solutions begin with an existing standard product and replace part of it with your custom circuitry. A typical example is a single board computer with custom I/O added onto the board. This technique results in quick time to market, small size, and minimized risk, since the bulk of the design comes from a proven product and remains unchanged, dramatically reducing the amount of engineering time required. A semi-custom solution is ideal for medium quantity projects where a custom solution is desired, but the cost of a full custom design may not be justified.
View an example of a semi-custom solution here.
Full-custom solutions consist of a ground-up design based on proven circuit elements from our vast technology library along with additional customer-specific functionality. The circuits used may be particular I/O circuits such as Ethernet or Analog I/O, or they may be a complete SBC simply laid out and modified to fit a custom form factor. A full-custom solution is ideal for large quantity projects where optimization of features and cost, along with extended lifecycle, are important program requirements.
See examples of Diamond's custom solutions here.
How to engage with Diamond Systems for a custom solution
The easy way to get started on a custom solution is to simply contact our sales team to discuss your needs. We will guide you in the right direction based on our understanding of your project. To help the discussion it is desirable to have as much of the following information available as possible:
- List of functions and features needed
- Any specific components or third party vendors requested
- Physical requirements (size, connectors)
- Environmental requirements (temperature, shock / vibration, etc.)
- A block diagram is extremely helpful to understand how the proposed solution fits into the overall product you are building
- Project schedule and quantity (best estimate)
- Whenever possible, separate your requirements into "must have" vs. "nice to have". This helps to prioritize features when issues like cost, size, and manufacturability come into the discussion.
Contact Sales to discuss your custom product requirements!
STANDARD PRODUCT VARIANT (SPV)
Minor modifications to a standard product, such as connector changes. Can include ruggedization services such as conformal coating and hardwired configuration.
Standard Ethernet switch
SPV with custom connectors and coating
Custom design based on a standard product. Unneeded circuitry is replaced with customer-specific circuitry. Reduces design effort vs. a full custom design.
Ground-up design based on Diamond's technology library and previous designs. Optimum solution for applications with high quantity or special constraints.
Custom Nvidia Jetson Carrier Board
for Mobile Application
Custom VME SBC
Custom Rugged Ethernet Switch
with 24 1Gbps and 4 10Gbps Ports